August Retail Sales Indicate The Recovery Is Intact
Published Friday, September 17, 2021 at: 7:03 PM EDT
Retail sales for the 12 months through August rose 14.9%. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, retail sales totaled $618.7 billion in August, a seven-tenths of 1% jump from July. Back-to-school shopping explained the uptick from July.
Retail sales are an important component of consumer spending, which accounts for 70% of total U.S. economic growth. The report indicates that the recovery is intact, at a time when the Delta Variant is raising fears about the economy’s momentum.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index closed this Friday at 4,432.99, losing -0.91% from Thursday and -0.57% from last week’s closing price. The index is up +65.83% from the March 23, 2020, Covid-induced bear market low.
Nothing contained herein is to be considered a solicitation, research material, an investment recommendation, or advice of any kind, and it is subject to change without notice. Any investments or strategies referenced herein do not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person. Product suitability must be independently determined for each individual investor. Tax advice always depends on your particular personal situation and preferences. You should consult the appropriate financial professional regarding your specific circumstances. The material represents an assessment of financial, economic and tax law at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. Forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties. Actual results, performance, or achievements may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Information is based on data gathered from what we believe are reliable sources. It is not guaranteed as to accuracy, does not purport to be complete, and is not intended to be used as a primary basis for investment decisions. This article was written by a professional financial journalist for Advisor Products and is not intended as legal or investment advice.
- Despite Pandemic, Stocks Closed 2021 With A 26.9% Return
- Tracking The Economic Boom
- Fed Changes Its Inflation Stance
- Despite Inflation And Omicron, A Booming Economy
- The Week's Financial News: Crosscurrents In The Economy
- After Breaking Records For Six Weeks, Stocks Dropped -2.3% Friday
- Already Higher Than Ever, Leading Economic Index Surged Again In October
- Five Observations For Investment Planning For The Decades Ahead
- Financial Economic Outlook
- S&P 500 Closed Friday At Record High Again On Strong Earnings Reports
- With Economic Recovery Intact, Stocks Are Near Record Again
- Are The Five Stocks Driving The Market's Great Returns Overvalued?